Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How do you say winter of discontent in Spanish?

Well, I guess now I can ignore that title question, since it may be that winter is over. We´ve had two weeks of little rain, plenty of sun, and nice breezes. This helps my morale quite a bit, since good weather makes for easier coffee harvesting and better coffee drying. The long days of hiking up to the coffee finca, harvesting and depulping coffee, and hiking back (usually 5-6 hours of walking with about the same of harvesting) are so much easier when I´m not soaked by a cold rain. And on days when I´m not going up the hill to that farm, I feel better about looking for work with other locals, since it is less likely that plans will fall through with pouring rain at daybreak.
Plus, we are out for thanksgiving! We arrived up in the cool highlands of western Panama a day early to eat good food, enjoy the cold, and take a hot shower. Tomorrow we will eat piles of classic thanksgiving fare and hang out with the majority of volunteers in this country.
I´d like to write about the work party the other day- suffice it to say they emphasize the party part. A family made about 10 gallons of corn beer to pay relatives and myself for hours of cutting down brush under the hot sun. The payment comes as you work, so these guys get progressively very drunk and belligerent while working with a machete on rough terrain. I largely abstained, since I didn´t want to cut off my own toes or anything. Then they got very obnoxious, as the quite drunk often do, and so we left a little early. I made prospective work plans with about 4 of them, but I´m betting they´ll have been too drunk to remember.
Finally, a road report. Even though the road to our new site is not bad, they are grading it and smoothing it out anyway, and it is sweet. Trucks can get up the formerly muddy spots without slowing down, and I can even ride my bicycle! Not having such a nightmarish transport situation is really really nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home